Hello all. I know it's been a thousand years since I've posted on here, but I've built up quite a number of recipes to post in the meantime. Here is one that I found on OurChart.com. It's cheap, easy, and very tasty!
1 3-5 lb chicken
Olive oil OR melted butter/margarine
Salt & Pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. Remove the extra organs and gross stuff from the body cavity.
3. Rinse off the chicken, inside and out, and pat dry with paper towels.
4. Rub olive oil/melted butter/melted margarine all over, making sure to get under the skin a bit too.
5. Sprinkle inside and out with salt and pepper to taste.
6. Cut the onion into four pieces. Put two of those pieces inside the body cavity. Break up the other two pieces and sprinkle them on the bottom of the pan.
7. Put the chicken in the pan over the onions, breast side down, and roast it for 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
The chicken should roast for about 20 minutes per pound, so adjust the time in the oven accordingly. Also, feel free to stick other stuff into the body cavity before you cook the chicken, like a sliced up lemon, fresh parsley or rosemary, etc. I prepared my Thanksgiving turkey with basically this same technique, and everybody loved it!